Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Blog Challenge - Day 28


Undoubtedly, without any hesitation whatsoever, I'd have to say my hero is...


From the moment I first read Harry Potter, I immediately took to the character of Hermione Granger.  Hermione represented some of what I was facing in my own childhood.  I had always been considered smart - a "nerd" if you will - and reading how Hermione went through those same issues before becoming friends with Harry and Ron really spoke to me.  As Hermione grew in her own character, I saw myself growing as well.  Hermione Granger went on to become my favorite literary character, hero, and role model as well. 


When the Harry Potter movies were announced, I was both excited beyond belief, but worried as well.  I had such a perfect image of Hermione Granger in my mind from reading the books and learning all the extra tidbits of information that Jo Rowling would reveal from time to time, that I was scared that Hollywood would ruin that wonderful character by improper casting.  So when I sat my butt in the big squishy movie theater chair to watch "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" in 2001, I quite literally was on the edge of my seat with anticipation for Hermione.


I have to admit, after seeing "Sorcerer's Stone", I was a little disappointed with Emma playing Hermione.  I felt she came on too strong - too feisty, too bossy.  Granted, I know that's the essence of Hermione, but she has a soft, vulnerable side as well - as all people do, and I didn't see much of that in the first movie.  


So when "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" was released, I was hoping for something a little different.  And I felt that Emma really performed in that movie - she brought all sides of the character of Hermione Granger to life, little by little.  From that movie on, I was enthralled with Emma's portrayal of Hermione, and she seemed to only get better as time moved on.  Emma brought to life one of the greatest literary characters of this generation, and she did a fantastic job.  As everyone is, she had a bit of a rough beginning, but she came out beautifully.

emma oneemma two

People have their own opinions of her acting, and that's fine - I respect each and every one of them, even if I do not agree with them.  


But to me, Emma Watson will always be the perfect Hermione Granger, and my hero.







Subscribe to Our Blog Updates!




Share this article!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Return to top of page
Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML